OPENING COVID19 :
La Rhune’s railway is now able to announce its opening to the public from Saturday June 6.
The entire site team is delighted with this opening and will welcome its visitors again in strict compliance with sanitary measures.
8 departures are offered per day:
9:30 a.m., 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 12 p.m., 1:15 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 3:15 p.m., 3:15 p.m.
In order to make the most of this excursion to the great outdoors on this legendary summit of the Basque Country, we ask our customers, for their safety and serenity, to obligatorily:
– Reserve their seats by phone (possible up to 1 hour before departure, from the 02 of June) in order to be placed on the trains in accordance with the distancing measures, at the following number: 0033 5 59 54 20 26. There will be no sales on site without reservation.
– Wear a mask (adults and children over 11 years old) in stations and in compartments during back-to-back journeys
– Respect the planned routes and barrier gestures.
In addition, specific measures have been implemented on the site by our teams, and in particular:
– Site layout and signs, to guarantee a direction of circulation (at the departure and return stations) which limits interactions between people as much as possible
– Hydroalcoholic solution will be available at several points of the site
– Partitions between train compartments and placement rules
– Disinfection of trains for EVERY departure
– Cleaning of public toilets at the St Ignace pass and at the summit (Venta) reinforced.
There is no doubt that the sun will also be with us in this month of June to make you discover or rediscover this emblematic site of the Basque Country.
Buy tickets :
Save time :
Credit Card or cash.
At the departure, there is a gift shop. At the top, there are ventas selling Spanish products.
TOKI ONA : 0033 5 59 54 28 07 (at the bottom)
There are car parks just near the train-station of departure. However, it may full during rush hours.
There is a snack bar and restaurant in the station of departure and arrival ( ventas).
- Les 3 fontaines : 0033 5 59 54 20 80 (at the bottom)
- Le Pullman : 0033 5 59 54 20 11 (at the bottom)
- Sandwich store : 00 335 59 54 54 87 (at the bottom)
- Udako etxea (ANTXUNE) : 0034 948 631 115 (at the top)
- Larrungo Kailoa (MARITX): 0034 948 631 041 (at the top)
- Larrungain (PENA) : 0034 948 631 100 (at the top)
The summit culminates at 905 meters, the weather differs frequently from those of the Basque Country
Don’t forget warm clothing to protect you from the cold, wind and rain.
Weather info provided at the train station of departure. Météo France ( weather station) Dial 0899 71 02 64 or 32 50.
In the surrounding areas
SARE : The “Petit Train de la Rhune” is located in the town of Sare, 10km from Saint Jean de Luz. You will be able to take the time to discover one of the “most beautiful villages of France”… Sare.
As the proverb goes, “Saran Astia” means : ” In Sare we have plenty of time”. This village of the Labourd region, situated only 15km from the coast is worthy of a stop for a few moments, just the time needed to breath inthe authentic air, here where life has a perfectly true flavour.
Napoleon III and Eugenie, Winston Churchill, Pierre Loti, Luis Mariano, etc, all loved the authentic Basque feel of this village.
The red half-timbered, white houses, some of which date from the 16th century, and the so generously green first massif of the Pyrenees, invite you for a stroll to savour the beauty, authenticity and rarity of this site.
Visitors are taken in by the generous gastronomy and array of festivities offered at this location.
To discover Sare and its many activities take a look at the www.sare.fr web site.